FAQs from Students
FAQs from Students
To use Granta EduPack with Ansys Workbench, you must have the full version of EduPack (not Introductory), and Ansys Workbench 2021 R1 or later. Installing the Ansys Workbench add-in is the same for both Classic and Flex-enabled versions of Granta EduPack.
When Granta EduPack is installed after Ansys Workbench:
Follow the installation instructions for your version of Granta EduPack. The Granta EduPack add-in for Ansys Workbench will automatically be installed with the software.
When Granta EduPack is installed before Ansys Workbench:
- Install Ansys Workbench.
- Install the Granta EduPack add-in for Ansys Workbench using one of the following methods:
- Re-run the Granta EduPack installer (edupack_setup.YYYY_RX.exe)
- Manually run the add-in EduPack_Addin.RX.msi, located in the packages folder (in the same folder as the installer). RX is the release number for your version of Ansys Workbench.
These instructions are for the Flex-enabled version of the software. If your installer name includes “_classic”, you need to follow the instructions for Granta EduPack Classic instead.
To install Granta EduPack or Granta EduPack Introductory:
- Copy the installation package onto your computer and extract the files.
- Double-click the installer edupack_setup.YYYY_RX.exe to run it. You will need to be connected to the Internet and your institution’s network.
- Enter the name and port number for your license server. This should have been given to you alongside the installation package by your instructor or IT admin; contact them if you have problems with this step.
- Continue to follow the on-screen instructions to finish installing.
To uninstall Granta EduPack, use Programs and Features in the Control Panel.
No – your installation package contains all the files you need, so that you don’t need a username and password. An account is only needed to download or create an installation package, which your course leader or IT administrator will do for you.
If the installer is prompting you to log in, or asking for license server information and you don’t have any, contact your course leader or IT administrator. They will need to provide either a new installation package, or the license server information.
These instructions are for the Classic version of the software, which does not use a license server. If your installer name does not include “_classic”, you need to follow the instructions for GRANTA EduPack instead.
To install GRANTA EduPack Classic or GRANTA EduPack Introductory Classic:
- Copy the installation package onto your computer. If the files are in a .zip folder, unzip them before proceeding.
- Make sure the license file license.lic is in the same folder as the installer, edupack_(introductory_)classic_setup.YYYY_RX.exe. If you do not have license.lic in your installation package, contact your instructor or IT admin.
- Double-click to run the installer, and follow the on-screen instructions.
To uninstall GRANTA EduPack Classic, use Programs and Features in the Control Panel.
GRANTA EduPack is specifically designed for education. However, GRANTA Selector or GRANTA MI may be of interest in the future if you go on to do research or work in industry. You can read more about how Granta can support you throughout your career here.
This message appears in two situations:
- You are using the flex-enabled version of EduPack, and all your institution’s licenses are currently in use. You’ll need to wait for someone else to finish their session and try again.
- You are using the Classic version of EduPack, and your license has expired.
Contact your IT department or the faculty member responsible for your course. They will be able to contact the Granta support team on your behalf.
First, check that you’re connected to your institution’s network or otherwise have access to the license server. GRANTA EduPack needs to check out a license from your institution’s license server in order to run.
If that isn’t the problem, you will need to contact your IT department or the faculty member/academic responsible for your course. They will contact the Granta support team if there is a problem that they cannot fix.
If your course uses GRANTA EduPack, please contact your course leader or IT department to get a copy. Please note that we can only deal directly with university faculty (e.g., lecturers, professors, heads of department, or their support staff) to discuss GRANTA EduPack and options for its use. This limitation enables Granta to provide effective support and service to hundreds of institutions worldwide.
GRANTA EduPack is designed for computers running Windows. Please note that we are unable to provide specific support or software recommendations for macOS.
However, some students and academics have reported that the following two options allowed them to run CES EduPack on a Mac operating system (both options require you to have a licensed version of Windows):
- Boot Camp—Boot Camp is software that comes installed with macOS (compatible with macOS 10.6 or later) that allows you to run compatible versions of Microsoft Windows on an Intel-based Mac. As Boot Camp runs the Windows operating system directly, the performance of Windows applications is not affected. The downsides of using Boot Camp are the risks involved with re-partitioning the hard drive and the need to boot into Windows each time you wish to use GRANTA EduPack.
- Install Windows on a virtual machine on your Mac. This allows you to run Windows software, including GRANTA EduPack, from inside macOS as if it were installed on your Mac.
These are the most common issues related to running the installer. Double-check that you:
- Have extracted the files, if your installer was distributed as a .zip.
- Aren’t installing or uninstalling any other programs whilst running the installer. This includes any updates running in the background.
- Have a stable Internet connection. Try re-running the installer with a wired Internet connection, or after moving to a place with better WiFi signal.
- (Classic only) Have a license file (license.lic) in the same folder as your installer, edupack_(introductory_)classic_setup.YYYY_RX.exe.
- (Flex-enabled only) Have entered the server name correctly during installation. You may see the following error message if there is a typo: “Your license could not be loaded. Please check your license settings, including License Manager server configuration”. Run the installer again to check.
If you are still encountering errors after that, contact your IT administrator.
To install GRANTA EduPack, you will need the following:
- Microsoft® Windows® 10 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- 4 GB of RAM
- 4 GB of available hard disk space.
- Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6.2, Microsoft Report Viewer 2010 SP1, and Microsoft VC 141 redistributable.
- If any of these are not installed, they will be installed during the GRANTA EduPack installation. You may need to restart your computer and the installer. You may need to restart your computer. If you restart your computer, you will have to restart the installer, too.
- For the French, German, and Spanish language installations, you will also require the appropriate language packs for these, which are usually installed with your OS.
- Administrator rights and Internet access.