FAQs from IT Administrators
FAQs from IT Administrators
To use Granta EduPack with Ansys Workbench, you must have the full version of EduPack (not Introductory), and Ansys Workbench 2021 R1 or later. Installing the Ansys Workbench add-in is the same for both Classic and Flex-enabled versions of Granta EduPack.
When Granta EduPack is installed after Ansys Workbench:
Follow the installation instructions for your version of Granta EduPack. The Granta EduPack add-in for Ansys Workbench will automatically be installed with the software.
When Granta EduPack is installed before Ansys Workbench:
- Install Ansys Workbench.
- Install the Granta EduPack add-in for Ansys Workbench using one of the following methods:
- Re-run the Granta EduPack installer (edupack_setup.YYYY_RX.exe)
- Manually run the add-in EduPack_Addin.RX.msi, located in the packages folder (in the same folder as the installer). RX is the release number for your version of Ansys Workbench.
Full instructions for both versions of the software are included in the Installation Guidelines for IT Administrators.
For GRANTA EduPack (Flex-enabled) your students will need to be provided with:
- The installation package, which is downloaded from the Ansys Customer Portal (students cannot download the software directly).
- The name and port number of your institution’s Ansys FlexNet license server.
You can distribute the installation package using a private network, a VLE, or physical media (e.g. USB stick). Students will need to copy the folder to a local drive before installing.
If your institution currently uses Ansys products, they will already have an Ansys FlexNet license server. However, it must have an up-to-date version of Ansys License Manager to support GRANTA EduPack. If your institution does not have an Ansys FlexNet server yet, we recommend starting with the Installation and Licensing Help pages and Licensing Guide.
For GRANTA EduPack Classic, you will need to download the installer from the Granta Design website, and use the installer to create the installation package for your students.
No personal data is collected about how individuals use our software. To help us improve and develop GRANTA EduPack, we do collect anonymous data:
- Every time the software is installed
- About how the software is used
If you would prefer to opt out of the latter, edit your Privacy Settings in the GRANTA EduPack settings. For further information, click the link on the Privacy tab of the Settings dialog to read the privacy statement.
In the first instance, double-check that your license server is configured correctly, and that the machine can connect to it. For Ansys FlexNet and Ansys License Manager support, see the Installation and Licensing Help pages and Licensing Guide on the Ansys Customer Portal.
If you get stuck you can contact Support. When contacting us, please let us know which operating system you are using.
These are some common issues related to running the installer:
- If the installer was distributed as a .zip file, extract the files before running the installer.
- Error code 0x80070652 – Wait for any other programs to finish installing or uninstalling before starting the installer. Note that other installations may be running in the background e.g. Microsoft Updates.
- Error code 0x80091007 – A poor internet connection can affect the installer when downloading the required files. Try re-running the installer and use a wired internet connection or move to place with a better Wi-Fi signal.
- Error code 0x8007002 – The GRANTA EduPack installation files are damaged or corrupted.
- Error code 0x80070643 – There is an error with the Microsoft .NET Framework installation on your computer.
- Error code 0x80070666 – An error occurred in Visual Studio Runtime 2017. This error is caused by a version of Microsoft Visual Studio Runtime 2017 that accidentally removes a registry key used by GRANTA EduPack when manually uninstalled. See the Visual Studio support site for more details. Try installing the latest version of Visual Studio to restore the missing registry key.
- (Flex-enabled only) The error message “Your license could not be loaded. Please check your license settings, including License Manager server configuration” will appear if the server name was entered incorrectly during installation.
- (Classic license only) Make sure license.lic is in the same folder as the installer, edupack_classic_setup.YYYY_RX.exe or edupack_introductory_classic_setup.YYYY_RX.exe. The license.lic file lets your users run the installer without signing in with a My Granta account. If a user’s installer prompts them to sign in, the license file may be missing.
If you encounter a different error, contact Support.
Full installation and distribution instructions can be found on the GRANTA EduPack Installation Guidelines page.
GRANTA EduPack requires an Ansys FlexNet license server to work. If your institution uses other Ansys software, they will already have one. See the full Installation Guidelines for more information.
GRANTA EduPack Classic does not require a license server, however, many institutions use one to aid distribution.
If you have the Flex-enabled version of GRANTA EduPack, your license is floating concurrent. The software can be installed on as many machines as you wish, but has a fixed number of licenses that are assigned by a license server.
If you are an existing customer and have had to keep your existing licensing model with GRANTA EduPack Classic, you do not have a concurrent license. The license is based on a fixed number of students for a given academic year.
Over 800 universities use GRANTA EduPack alongside many different VLEs (notably Blackboard). You can have students install the GRANTA EduPack software on home computers or laptops by downloading the software from the VLE, if you have the Classic version, or grant access to the license server to remote students. Aternatively, if the VLE supports features like ‘remote desktop’, then the students can remotely access University computers with GRANTA EduPack installed on them. However, please note that:
- GRANTA EduPack needs to be traditionally installed and is not a web-based resource.
- Students cannot download the software; the installation package (with license file or license server details) needs to be put on the VLE if you want to distribute the software this way.
This message appears in two situations:
- You are using the flex-enabled version of EduPack, and all your institution’s licenses are currently in use. Wait for one to become available, or manage users on the license server.
- You are using the Classic version of EduPack, and your license has expired.
GRANTA EduPack is designed for computers running Windows. Please note that we are unable to provide specific support or software recommendations for macOS.
However, some students and academics have reported that the following two options allowed them to run CES EduPack on a Mac operating system (both options require you to have a licensed version of Windows):
- Boot Camp—Boot Camp is software that comes installed with macOS (compatible with macOS 10.6 or later) that allows you to run compatible versions of Microsoft Windows on an Intel-based Mac. As Boot Camp runs the Windows operating system directly, the performance of Windows applications is not affected. The downsides of using Boot Camp are the risks involved with re-partitioning the hard drive and the need to boot into Windows each time you wish to use GRANTA EduPack.
- Install Windows on a virtual machine on your Mac. This allows you to run Windows software, including GRANTA EduPack, from inside macOS as if it were installed on your Mac.
To install GRANTA EduPack, you will need the following:
- Microsoft® Windows® 10 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- 4 GB of RAM
- 4 GB of available hard disk space.
- Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.6.2, Microsoft Report Viewer 2010 SP1, and Microsoft VC 141 redistributable.
- If any of these are not installed, they will be installed during the GRANTA EduPack installation. You may need to restart your computer and the installer. You may need to restart your computer. If you restart your computer, you will have to restart the installer, too.
- For the French, German, and Spanish language installations, you will also require the appropriate language packs for these, which are usually installed with your OS.
- Administrator rights and Internet access.
GRANTA EduPack and GRANTA EduPack Introductory are delivered via download from the Ansys Customer Portal, although it is possible for existing customers to license GRANTA EduPack Classic or GRANTA EduPack Introductory Classic (delivered via download from the Granta Education Hub) if required.