Implementing eco design for ISO 14001 certification (new ISO 14006 guidelines)
Vic Clements, from The Centre for Sustainable Design®, will join Granta's Dr. Jamie O'Hare for a short web seminar on Thursday, November 8. This will introduce the new ISO 14006:2011 standard; you will also hear the presenters discuss why companies need to consider the environmental impacts of the products they produce. They will show the benefits of incorporating and implementing systematic and structured eco design activities as part of an ISO 14001 Environmental Management System (EMS). The web seminar will include case studies, software demonstrations, and an opportunity to ask your questions of the presenters.
Vic Clements is a leading expert in this field, having been directly involved in defining this standard, so is ideally placed to provide guidance on implementing ISO 14006, and how to obtain the necessary buy-in from product designs and engineering teams.
- The business drivers for eco design.
- Why, if they are not already doing so, companies need to consider the environmental impacts of the products they produce as part of an ISO 14001 EMS.
- An introduction to the ISO 14006:2011 standard which provides guidance on how to implement eco design as part of your business operations (see background information below)
- Why environmental managers will need support from product design and engineering teams to implement eco design and how to obtain the necessary buy-in
- Demonstration of Granta’s Eco Audit technology including the latest eco design support features included in the CES Selector 2013 release
How to register and join the session
There is no cost but registration is required through the WebEx system. Please ensure you set your local time zone to receive accurate meeting invitations. How to use WebEx, including setting times zone & language preferences »
Environmental and Product Stewardship Managers—discover how implementing ISO 14006 can deliver a more robust ISO 14001 EMS and build greater awareness throughout the organization of the links between corporate environmental goals and the products you deliver. You will also learn more about the benefits of having one system for managing both operational and product-based environmental aspects and impacts.
Product designers and engineers—find out about the importance of factoring environmental impact into product design and development. See tools that make it easy to consider this impact during design, alongside factors such as engineering properties and cost
Other opportunities to find out more
You may also be interested in a series of one-day training courses organized by The Centre for Sustainable Design, held at UCA Farnham Surrey. The training will be led by Martin Charter, Director and Vic Clements (MIEMA, CEnv), Senior Associate at The Centre for Sustainable Design, who were Convenor and UK expert respectively to the ISO working group TC207/SC1 WG4 that developed ISO14006
- 28th September 2012
- 16th October 2012
- 21st November 2012
- 5th December 2012
ISO 14006:2011 and the Centre for Sustainable Design
ISO 14006:2011 Guidelines for Implementing Eco design in Environmental Management Systems was published on the 8th July 2011 to support companies with integrating eco design into management systems. Consultants from The Centre for Sustainable Design (CfSD) are well placed to help you work with these guidelines, having worked worked in research, development and commercialisation capacities to reduce environmental impact multi-nationally in electronics, automotive, engineering, building, finance and marketing services industries. These areas of knowledge and competency are:
- Assessment of the life cycle impacts of the products on the Environment and identification of appropriate design measures to reduce the adverse effects of these impacts
- Management of the product design and development activity to implement these design measures
- Fitting the eco design activities and the management of them within an EMS
A major barrier to effective eco design has been the lack of fast, easy-to-use tools to assess environmental impact and test 'what-if' scenarios during the design phase. Granta's Eco Audit methodology and well-established materials selection software provide quick and interactive means to determine the factors that make the greatest contribution to a product's environmental impact, and to make materials and process choices that minimize this impact.
The Eco Audit technology is now also available within CAD, Eco Materials Adviser is the new tool for sustainable design within Autodesk Inventor. An easy-to-read dashboard display shows key indicators such as energy usage, CO2 footprint, water usage, and materials cost, letting users interactively explore the effect of changes in the materials choice or design of their digital prototype.